No need for Metro Manila to revert to stricter quarantine — WHO
MANILA, Philippines — There is no need for Metro Manila to revert to stricter quarantine measures, World Health Organization Philippine acting representative to the Philippines Rabindra Abeyasinghe said Tuesday.
In a televised briefing, Abeyangsinghe said localized lockdowns should just be implemented in areas where there is an increase in COVID-19 cases.
“We don’t believe that the situation in Metro Manila requires a reversal. We recognize the impact of this outbreak not only on health but also on the economy,” Abeyangsinghe said.
“And within the IATF recommendations, there is provision for localized lockdowns. And where we are seeing an upsurge of cases within the NCR, in some localized cities or barangays, there is a need to make use of those provisions to suppress further transmission,” he added.
President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to announce on Tuesday new quarantine classifications nationwide.
The President previously placed Metro Manila under general community quarantine (GCQ) from June 1 to June 15 in and later on extended the measure until June 30.
Duterte, meanwhile, tightened restrictions in Cebu City and placed it under enhanced community quarantine after a high rate of infection was recorded.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.