Cebu City looming as new COVID-19 epicenter – DILG
MANILA, Philippines — Cebu City is “more likely” the new epicenter of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the country, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said Monday.
DILG Secretary Eduardo Año cited the number of cases being logged in Cebu City, compared to Metro Manila which is composed of 17 local government units (LGUs).
“Yes, more likely because of the rate of infection in Cebu City,” Año said in an interview on ANC, when asked if Cebu City is now the COVID-19 epicenter of the country.
“If you compare it to the National Capital Region where we have 17 LGUs, in Metro Manila, we have 356 [cases compared] by 131 in Cebu City. You can just see the number,” Año added.
Last week, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to oversee the government’s COVID-19 response in Cebu City amid the steady increase in its coronavirus infections.
There are at least 4,900 COVID-19 cases in Cebu City with about 150 deaths and at least 2,300 recoveries.
Nationwide, there are 35,455 COVID-19 cases as of Sunday afternoon, with 1,244 deaths and 9,686 recoveries.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.