Roque: Gov’t can still set curfews, ban mass gathering even if Bayanihan law expired
MANILA, Philippines — The government can still impose curfew hours and prohibit mass gatherings during the quarantine period despite the expiration of Bayanihan to Heal As One Act last June 25, presidential spokesman Harry Roque asserted Saturday.
“Although the law has lapsed, it is not accurate to state that the government can no longer enforce curfews or any prohibitions on mass gatherings. As we previously articulated, local ordinances that remain in effect may still be enforced,” Roque said in a statement.
Roque added that the Bayanihan law’s expiry will not prevent the government from imposing measures to fight the spread of the coronavirus disease.
“While the Bayanihan Act may have lapsed, this will not prevent the National Government from addressing the threat of COVID-19. The President continues to exercise all and every means at his disposal to protect public safety and the lives of our citizenry in the state of public health emergency and the state of calamity, which unquestionably exist to this day,” the Palace official said.
The Bayanihan to Heal As One Act had provided emergency powers to President Rodrigo Duterte to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.