OSG mulling to ask SC to reconsider dismissal of quo warranto case vs ABS-CBN
MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) is studying the possibility of asking the Supreme Court to reconsider its decision to dismiss the quo warranto case against ABS-CBN Corp.
“Once a copy of the decision has been obtained, the OSG will study the possibility of filing a motion for reconsideration, if necessary, given the constitutional issue on foreign ownership raised in the OSG petition,” the OSG said in a statement.
For now, it said it has not yet received a copy of the high court’s ruling.
On June 23, the Supreme Court dismissed OSG’s quo warranto petition against ABS-CBN on the ground of mootness because its franchise to operate has already expired last month and the television giant has already stopped its free-television operations.
Presently, ABS-CBN operates through its digital platforms since only the free-television operation was covered by the broadcasting company’s 25-year-old legislative franchise that expired last May 4.
Meanwhile, OSG’s quo warrant petition case against ABS-CBN Convergence remains pending, according to Atty. Brian Keith Hosaka, public information chief of the high court.
To recall, the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) issued on May 5 a cease and desist order stopping ABS-CBN’s operation. The media network obliged and went off the air at exactly 7:52 p.m. that day.
ABS-CBN subsequently went to the Supreme Court and challenged the validity of NTC’s order. This case will be tackled by the high court on July 13.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.