More COVID-19 cases turning up among returnees from virus hot spot Cebu
BACOLOD CITY—Three more natives of Negros Occidental who had been stranded in Cebu and came home recently were positive for coronavirus, according to provincial officials.
The latest cases involved a 25-year-old woman from Sagay City, a 21-year-old man from Hinigaran town and a 23-year-old patient from Escalante City.
The Department of Health (DOH) also reported 12 other COVID-19 cases involving stranded individuals in Iloilo on Monday (June 22), bringing the total number of cases in Western Visayas to 197.
Rayfrando Diaz, provincial administrator, said officials were trying to further speed up the release of test results by the Teresita L. Jalandoni Provincial Hospital in Silay City to clear the backlog of test results.
“The faster the results are released, the quicker we can release occupants in provincial government and local government quarantine facilities”, he said.
As of Monday (June 22) at least 300 natives of Negros Occidental are still stranded in Cebu awaiting repatriation.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.