Local exec to IATF: test returnees to provinces
MARAWI CITY –– Marawi City Mayor Majul Gandamra has asked the national interagency task force on the management of emerging infectious diseases (IATF) to order local governments and responsible agencies to test those who are returning to the provinces before allowing them to travel.
Gandamra said many of the returning individuals have turned out to be infected with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) when tested upon arrival.
Testing through the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) process should be done at the point of departure, as this is provided in the IATF guidelines, Gandamra added.
Marawi City recorded eight new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, after over a month of having no fresh infections.
City health officer Ali Dalidig said the new patients were those who were stranded in Manila and repatriated overseas Filipinos, who returned home under the government’s Hatid-Probinsya program.
Of the eight, one arrived on June 3, while the seven others arrived on June 6.
The patients are all asymptomatic and were isolated at a quarantine facility in Barangay Sagonsongan, according to Dalidig.
In Butuan City, the Department of Health (DOH) recorded three new COVID-19 cases in the Caraga region, all returning from abroad.
They travelled from Manila to Cagayan de Oro and on to their respective hometowns, where they are quarantined in local government-run facilities.
During the last week of May, three Agusan del Norte residents, who returned from Cebu and Manila, tested positive for the virus.
Upon arrival, these individuals were subjected to rapid testing, and when found reactive, were swabbed for RT-PCR test.
In Cotabato City, three returnees from Manila were added to the list of COVID-19 cases in the Soccsksargen region, which now stands at 32.
Arjohn Gangoso, speaking for DOH-Soccsksargen, said the latest confirmed cases are from Cotabato City; Tantangan, South Cotabato; and General Santos City.
Dr. Zul Abas, deputy health minister of the Bangsamoro, said three more were added to the region’s tally of COVID-19 cases, two from Lanao del Sur and one in Sulu.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.