Magalong won’t press raps yet vs Zamora for Baguio health protocol violations | Inquirer News
Close  

Magalong won’t press raps yet vs Zamora for Baguio health protocol violations

/ 07:51 PM June 10, 2020

BAGUIO CITY—Mayor Benjamin Magalong on Wednesday (June 10) said he was not yet inclined to pursue charges against San Juan Mayor Francis Zamora for a six-vehicle convoy that broke through a Kennon Road checkpoint last week without stopping for inspection and health checks at the border.

Addressing a social media campaign to declare Zamora persona non grata (unwelcome) for putting the health of Baguio residents at risk, the mayor at a news conference said he needed to see the conclusions of a police internal affairs investigation of Zamora’s police security detail who have been blamed for the violation of Baguio quarantine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Zamora said he visited the summer capital last weekend to help his ailing wife recuperate. The San Juan mayor said his convoy drove past the checkpoint manned by the Baguio City Police Office (BCPO) due to a “miscommunication.”

His group was stopped from entering the Baguio Country Club, and a medical team from the Baguio City Health Services Office set up a triage area there to test Zamora’s party. The city government has yet to release the findings.

FEATURED STORIES

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año had earlier cleared Zamora of any infraction, holding five San Juan policemen accountable for the quarantine breach.

“It would be prudent to get the facts first,” Magalong said because the BCPO had to chase the convoy when it sped past the border, disputing one account that the checkpoint policemen waived them through.

Magalong said he informed Año that he had accepted the apology offered by Zamora “to me and the Baguio people,” which could explain why the secretary appeared to have absolved the San Juan official.

Magalong stressed that Zamora had not exhibited any arrogant behavior during the incident and had submitted willingly to triage doctors.

But the mayor said the police investigation was launched because he complained to the Philippine National Police after learning about the violations.

He confirmed that Zamora called him up about the visit but Magalong was in a meeting in Manila at the time.

Magalong said he gave instructions for Zamora’s party to be subjected to health checks.

Edited by TSB
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 6-vehicle convoy, Kennon checkpoint, Mayor Benjamin Magalong, San Juan Mayor Francis Zamora
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.