Palace: No request yet to file administrative charges vs Sinas | Inquirer News
Close  

Palace: No request yet to file administrative charges vs Sinas

/ 03:13 PM June 01, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Monday said it has yet to receive an official request to proceed with the filing of administrative charges against Metro Manila police chief Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas over his alleged violation of quarantine rules meant to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque bared this as he assured business groups that the investigation into Sinas’ mañanita last month is ongoing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier, eight business groups criticized the government for its double standard in implementing the law wherein thousands of people were arrested but public officials were left unpunished for violation of the same COVID-19 protocols.

In a televised Palace briefing, Roque said the government agrees with the business groups’ call for the rule of law.

FEATURED STORIES

“We agree with the call for the rule of law at kung ang tinatanong naman po eh ‘yung kaso ni General Sinas, tuloy po ang preliminary ng piskal at tuloy din po yung proseso ng administrative case bagama’t hindi pa po nasusumite sa Malacañang ‘yung request for authority to proceed with the investigation,” Roque said.

The business groups were the Management Association of the Philippines, Financial Executives Institute of the Philippines, Makati Business Club, Institute of Solidarity in Asia, Institute of Corporate Directors, Judicial Reform Initiative, American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines and Canadian Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines.

Earlier, the Palace official explained that clearance from Malacañang is needed for the filing of administrative charges of the Philippine National Police (PNP) against Sinas and other police officers involved in his mañanita.

Despite fierce public backlash, President Duterte defended Sinas and said that the embattled police official will keep his position.

Sinas and 18 other officers, including five generals, are now facing criminal charges for violating quarantine rules during the celebration of his 55th birthday.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: business groups, COVID-19, Debold Sinas, double standard, Malacañang, Mañanita
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.