Drivers, operators set protests vs order to let only new jeepneys back on the road
LEGAZPI CITY—A group of drivers and operators on Friday (May 29) announced plans to hold a noise barrage to protest the government policy to let only new jeepneys ply their routes when many parts of the country, including the National Capital Region (NCR), transition to general community quarantine (GCQ), supposedly a less restrictive lockdown form.
In a statement, the transport group Pinagkaisang Samahan ng Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (Piston) said it had invited drivers and operators to join the noise barrage by honking the horns of their vehicles to protest a memo by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) allowing only new jeepneys to return to the road.
Piston asked all groups of public utility vehicle (PUV) drivers and operators nationwide to take part in the protest action on Monday (June 1) around 10 a.m.
The memo allows the return of jeepneys in areas on GCQ but only those which are new.
Piston said the LTFRB memo would prolong the economic pain of thousands of PUV drivers and operators nationwide caused by COVID-19 lockdowns.
The group said that drivers and operators had already been deprived of their source of livelihood for more than two months.
The transition to GCQ from enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) is seen as a chance for thousands of drivers and operators of jeepneys to regain lost income and livelihood.
Piston said only a few of its members had received cash aid from the government and should be allowed to return to work on the road.
Edited by TSB
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.