NTC says OSG's quo warranto case was factor in CDO vs ABS-CBN | Inquirer News

NTC says OSG’s quo warranto case was factor in CDO vs ABS-CBN

/ 12:06 PM May 27, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) admitted to senators that the bid of Solicitor General Jose Calida to revoke the franchise of broadcast giant ABS-CBN was a factor in its decision to issue a cease-and-desist order against the network.

ADVERTISEMENT

During a Senate committee hearing on Wednesday, NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba said the agency had previously allowed expiring franchises to continue operations while its franchise renewal is pending in Congress.

“We never issued a provisional license to any broadcaster while their franchise was pending in Congress. What happened then was we just allowed them to continue operating,” he noted.

FEATURED STORIES

But in the case of ABS-CBN, Cordoba said: “The difference from those instances and on the ABS-CBN issue is that…a case for quo warranto was actually filed by the Office of the Solicitor General.”

In February, Solicitor General Jose Calida sought the revocation of ABS-CBN’s franchise over alleged violations through a quo warranto petition filed before the Supreme Court.

“Kaya po medyo naging (That’s why it would be) untenable on our part to let it continue because of the clear letter of the law in Republic Act 3846,” Cordoba added.

Cordoba was referring to the Radio Control Law which states that “no person, firm, company, association, or corporation shall construct, install, establish, or operate a radio transmitting station, or radio receiving station used for commercial purposes, or a radio broadcasting station, without having first obtained a franchise therefor from the Congress of the Philippines.”

On May 5, the NTC issued a cease-and-desist order against ABS-CBN after its franchise lapsed forcing the network to shut its television and radio broadcast operations nationwide.

This, despite NTC’s earlier assurance that it would grant ABS-CBN a provisional authority to operate as Congress deliberates on the network’s pending franchise renewal.

/MUF
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: ABS-CBN, cease and desist order, Nation, National Telecommunications Commission, News, Senate, Solicitor General Jose Calida
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.