Senate begins 3-day marathon ‘hybrid’ hearings on COVID-19 updates
MANILA, Philippines — The Senate on Tuesday began its three-day marathon hearings on the status of the government’s response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Senate constituted itself into the committee of the whole to hold “hybrid” hearings until Thursday where lawmakers will be briefed by officials from the executive department regarding its COVID-19 response.
“We want to know the answers to the following questions: Where are we now? Where do we wanna go and how do we get there?” Senate President Vicente Sotto III said.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez, and Vince Dizon, deputy chief implementer of the government’s COVID-19 response, are among those present in the hearing.
Duque, in his opening statement, said officials would be presenting to the Senate “the highlights and accomplishments of the past four months of full and non-stop grind on the policy strategy, operations and tactical arms of the COVID-19 war.”
Metro Manila, Laguna and several other Luzon provinces have been placed under an a modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) while Cebu City and Mandaue City were placed under the stricter ECQ.
As of Monday afternoon, Philippine health officials have confirmed 12,718 COVID-19 cases in the country. Of the number 2,729 have so far recovered while 831 have died.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.