Close  

Banac: Sinas to stay as NCRPO chief while PNP-IAS prepares criminal raps

By: - Reporter / @ConsINQ
/ 12:31 PM May 15, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Major Gen. Debold Sinas will remain in his post as the Philippine National Police (PNP) prepares the criminal cases against him and the others behind his controversial birthday celebration at the NCRPO’s headquarters in Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City, the spokesman of the national police said Friday.

“For now, stay muna siya (Sinas will stay) until further notice. So, no movement among top officials yet,” PNP spokesman Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said in a statement to reporters when asked if Sinas will be removed as NCRPO director over his May 8 birthday serenade or mañanita, which allegedly violated health protocols being enforced as part of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, the PNP-Internal Affairs Service (IAS) said it will send its investigation report to PNP chief Archie Gamboa this afternoon. If it gets approved, criminal complaints will then be filed against Sinas and the other police officials who joined his birthday celebration.

“Submit namin kay (Chief PNP).  Kapag e approve, ipapa-receive agad namin sa Prosecutor’s Office ng Taguig or e file ang criminal complaint against PMGen. Sinas, et al,” PNP-IAS director Lawyer Alfegar Triambulo said in another text message.

FEATURED STORIES

(We will submit it to the chief PNP. If it gets approved, we will have it received at the Taguig City Prosecutor’s Office or file the criminal complaint against MGen. Sinas and others.)

The PNP-IAS previously said it is finalizing its investigation against Sinas and other police officials on the highly-criticized birthday event of the NCRPO chief.

The birthday celebration of Sinas turned controversial after the NCRPO Public Information Office shared on its Facebook page photos of the event showing a number of police officers who gathered at the event while not observing social distancing.

At least 20 photos were later deleted after netizens, lawmakers, and personalities started criticizing Sinas over the event.

Sinas has since apologized for causing “anxiety” over his mañanita but he claimed that some of the photos shared online were edited and some were old photos.

The government had placed Metro Manila under enhanced community quarantine since mid-March which means quarantine protocols such as social distancing, the mandatory wearing of face masks, and prohibition on all forms of mass gatherings, among others, should be strictly enforced.

/MUF
ADVERTISEMENT

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Debold Sinas, enhanced community quarantine, general community quarantine, Internal Affairs Service, Nation, national Capital Region Police Office, Phil‎ippine National Police, Quarantine
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.