1 million Metro Manila residents expected to join ‘Balik Probinsya’ program
MANILA,Philippines — At least one million Metro Manila residents are expected to take part in the government’s Balik Probinsya program in the next six months, the National Housing Authority (NHA) said Tuesday.
During the Laging Handa briefing, NHA General Manager and Balik Probinsya Executive Director Jun Escalada said there are so far 5,000 individuals who have already signified interest in the program via its website.
“We started our online application last Friday. In a matter of four days, we’re able to get 5,000 enrollees already,” Escalada said.
“If this will be the figure, there will be exponential enrollees every now and then. Perhaps, we can hit a figure in the next 6 months, 1 million residents of Metro Manila who would like to enroll,” he added.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier institutionalized the Balik Probinsya program which seeks to decongest Metro Manila and promote more robust regional development.
“We will facilitate the returns of this mga kababayan natin from Metro Manila to the regional rural centers,” Escalado said.
Escalano said Leyte, Camarines Sur, Zamboanga del Norte, Bukidnon, Lanao del Norte, Pangasinan, and Quirino aee keen on supporting the program.
Those who want to enroll in the program via the program’s website balikprobinsya.ph, Escalado said.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.