outbrain
Close  

ABS-CBN shutdown stirs int’l rights group

SOLGEN CALIDA URGED TO STOP ACTING AS DUTERTE ATTACK DOG
/ 08:09 PM May 05, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – An international rights group has chided the current administration for allowing the shutdown of media network ABS-CBN, asking Solicitor General Jose Calida to stop acting like President Rodrigo Duterte’s attack dog.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) said in a statement on Tuesday, shortly after news broke out that ABS-CBN was ordered to stop television and radio broadcasting by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) through a cease and desist order.

ADVERTISEMENT

HRW Deputy Asia Director Phil Robertson noted that NTC’s order came on the heels of warnings from Solicitor General Jose Calida, that the commission cannot grant provisional authorities contrary to the request of the House of Representatives.

“The order was handed down two days after the government’s lawyer, Solicitor General Jose Calida, warned the NTC against giving the network provisional authority to operate when its congressional franchise expired yesterday, May 4. Human Rights Watch views this turn of events with deep concern, coming as it did on the heels of efforts by the Duterte administration to intimidate and muzzle the Philippine press,” Robertson said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

“The NTC should rescind this order. The Solicitor General should stop acting like Duterte’s attack dog. The Philippine Congress, which earlier agreed to consider an extension of the franchise, should assert its mandate and authority over matters like this,” he added.

Calida has previously filed a quo warranto petition against the network last February, for supposedly using a corporate veil to hide foreign ownership and foreign investment.  NTC Deputy Commissioner Edgardo Cabarios did not explicitly mention it, but he said that the cease and desist order stemmed from questions about its franchise.

According to HRW, the cease and desist order’s timing was also off as the country is currently fighting the COVID-19 pandemic — of which ABS-CBN has provided vital information through a wide, nationwide coverage.

“This also comes at the worst possible time, when the COVID-19 pandemic is ravaging countries like the Philippines and when accurate and truthful information is needed crucially,” Robertson explained.

“The Filipino people should reject this despotic move to harass and silence a media organization known not only for its reach but also for its competence and dedication to deliver the news,” he noted.

ABS-CBN’s shutdown came after its franchise expired on May 4, as Congress failed to renew it before going into a break for the Lenten Season.

However, since the COVID-19 pandemic forced people to stay at home, and as committee hearings over video conferencing may not be stable, the House of Representatives leadership asked NTC to grant a provisional franchise to ensure the network’s operation while issues are being ironed out.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: No reason for ABS-CBN to stop airing

ABS-CBN has been on the receiving end of criticism from President Rodrigo Duterte for their alleged biased coverage of him, and for failing to air his advertisements in the 2016 Presidential elections.  Previously, Duterte said that he would see to it that the network is shut down.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2019 Novel Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, ABS-CBN franchise, ABS-CBN free television, CDO, cease and desist order, COVID-19, Deputy Asia Director Phil Robertson, ECQ, enhanced community quarantine, franchise validity, House of Representatives, HRW, Human Rights Watch, Leody de Guzman., lockdown, National Telecommunications Commission, nCoV update, NTC, Philippine news updates, press freedom, radio broadcasts, Solicitor General Jose Calida
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.