outbrain
Close  

US warns China not to ‘exploit’ virus for sea disputes

/ 07:22 PM April 07, 2020

WASHINGTON — The United States has warned China not to take advantage of the coronavirus pandemic to exert itself in the South China Sea after Vietnam said Beijing sank a trawler.

Amid the global focus on fighting COVID-19, China has ramped up self-described research stations and landed special military aircraft in the dispute-rife sea, according to the State Department.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We call on the PRC to remain focused on supporting international efforts to combat the global pandemic, and to stop exploiting the distraction or vulnerability of other states to expand its unlawful claims in the South China Sea,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement on Monday.

Vietnam said last week that it lodged a protest with Beijing after the Chinese Coast Guard “hindered, rammed and sunk” a Vietnamese boat with eight fishermen on board near the Paracel Islands.

FEATURED STORIES

Vietnam – which, like China and Taiwan, claims sovereignty over the Paracel Islands – called in a foreign ministry statement for Beijing to compensate the fishermen, “strictly discipline” the officers responsible and prevent similar occurrences in the future.

The United States said it was “seriously concerned” about the episode.

“This incident is the latest in a long string of PRC (People’s Republic of China) actions to assert unlawful maritime claims and disadvantage its Southeast Asian neighbors in the South China Sea,” Ortagus said.

The United States, which has a growing relationship with Vietnam, has challenged China’s claims in the South China Sea – one of the world’s busiest waterways and also home to bountiful energy reserves.

China last month accused the United States of a “provocative” act after saying that the USS McCampbell missile destroyer sailed near the Paracel Islands without Beijing’s permission.

Tensions have risen sharply in recent years between China and the United States, which has also alleged that Beijing has not promptly controlled SARS-CoV-2, the virus that has now infected more than one million people around the world.

The COVID-19 outbreak started in China’s Wuhan City in Hubei province in late 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

KGA

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2019-nCoV, China, Coronavirus, COVID-19, Health, International news, Military, NcoV, nCoV update, news, novel coronavirus, Outbreak, pandemic, sea dispute, South China sea, US, Vietnam, Virus, world, world news, Wuhan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.