Sagay doctor accused of violating protocol turns out negative for COVID-19
BACOLOD CITY — The doctor who had been accused of violating protocol by still seeing patients while infected with COVID-19 turned out to be negative for the disease.
The doctor’s husband, who requested anonymity, said his wife never violated any COVID-19 protocol and called reports about his wife baseless.
“The rumors are bare and blatant lies and have caused immense anxiety to my wife and my family,” he said.
He also denied reports that his wife recently traveled to Hong Kong.
The doctor had been tagged as a person under investigation (PUI) last March 30 though she was neither sick nor showed any COVID-19 symptoms. PUI are supposed to be those showing symptoms of the disease.
Sagay City Mayor Alfredo Marañon III earlier said the doctor breached COVID-19 protocol and put the lives of health workers on the frontline and the people of the city in grave danger.
The mayor also ordered the disinfection of the Alfredo Marañon District Hospital at the village of Bato where the doctor worked.
The doctor’s husband said he was grateful to the mayor for the “prompt and appropriate action” taken after the false reports about his wife spread.
“My wife remains optimistic and looking forward to again serve the public with other frontliners in the fight against this pandemic,” he added.
“We are very thankful for the family, friends and my wife’s private patients who sent their messages of support and thoughtful prayers,” he said.
Edited by TSB
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.