Digos City’s first COVID-19 patient recovers, discharged
DIGOS CITY—The city’s first novel coronavirus (COVID-19) patient had tested negative for the disease and was being discharged from hospital on Wednesday (April 1) , a local official said.
Mayor Josef Cagas said the 38-year-old patient, who had tested positive for COVID-19 last Saturday (March 28), had recovered and tested negative on Wednesday (April 1) at the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) where the patient was confined.
“He will be ready for discharge today,” said the mayor on a live feed on the city government’s Facebook page.
The patient was among those who attended the thousands who attended the cockfighting derby from March 6 to 13 at the New Davao Matina Gallera in Davao City. The event had been blamed for a spike in COVID-19 cases in the region and had prompted neighboring towns and provinces to close their borders.
Digos City currently has 13 persons under investigation (PUI), or those showing symptoms of COVID-19. Two are for release while 11 are still on home quarantine.
A 71-year-old woman, who died of diabetes in one of the hospitals, turned out to be negative for COVID-19, according to the mayor.
He urged the public to strictly observe physical distancing and follow the protocols in the city which had been placed under community quarantine.
Edited by TSB
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.