outbrain
Close  

IATF setting parameters for possible lifting, extension or expansion of Luzon quarantine

/ 10:55 AM March 31, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The inter-agency task force handling the government’s response to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) crisis is setting its sights on the possible lifting, extension or expansion of the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) more than two weeks after it was imposed.

ADVERTISEMENT

covid-19 Eleazar Metro Manila Community Quarantine Checkpoints 1

Philippine National Police Deputy Chief for Operations PLtGen. Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar inspects Metro Manila Community Quarantine Checkpoints at the boundary of Meycauayan, Bulucan and Malanday, Valenzuela City, March 16, 2020.
Niño Jesus Orbeta/INQUIRER

Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, spokesman of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases, said in a virtual press briefing Tuesday that the IATF will convene to set the parameters for the 30-day lockdown’s potential lifting, extension or expansion.

“The IATF Technical Working Group (TWG) to be led by the DOH is directed to convene and finalize the parameters for deciding on the eventual total or partial lifting of the ECQ  in Luzon, the possible extension of its duration, or its expansion to other areas outside the contained area, subject to the approval, amendment or modification by the IATF,” Nograles said.

FEATURED STORIES

The Palace official also reiterated that reports circulating on social media about the extension of the ECQ for another 60 days are “fake news.”

“Sa usapin na ito, science is in charge. Sana po malinaw ito sa ating lahat,” he stressed.

President Duterte placed the entire Luzon under a month-long  ECQ on March 16, forcing more than 50 million Filipinos to observe home quarantine.

The ECQ is the government’s response to health experts’ estimate that COVID-19 infection may reach 75,000 in the Philippines in three months if the virus is not contained.

To date, the Philippines has 1,546 COVID-19 cases as of Monday, 78 of whom have died while 42 have recovered.

The World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 a pandemic.

Worldwide, the virus, which was first detected in Hubei province in China, already infected more than 784,000 people and killed over 37,600 while more than 165,200 people have recovered so far from the disease as of March 30.

ADVERTISEMENT

GSG

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, COVID-19, Health, IATF, Karlo Nograles, Luzon lockdown, Malacañang, Outbreak, pandemic, Philippines, Quarantine, WHO
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.