Duterte appeals to communist rebels for a ceasefire | Inquirer News

Duterte appeals to communist rebels for a ceasefire

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 10:13 PM March 16, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday appealed for a ceasefire with the communist rebels as the country scrambled to prevent the spread of the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

“Don’t touch the soldiers in the meantime. Let’s have a ceasefire. I’m asking you,” Duterte, speaking in Filipino said in a speech.

ADVERTISEMENT

The President made the call as he placed the whole of Luzon under an enhanced community quarantine.

FEATURED STORIES

“Kindly give me that — if you really want that we will be at all times on talking terms in this time of crisis,” he added.

Under the enhanced community quarantine — which will take in effect until April 13 — there will be strict implementation of home confinement, suspended transportation lines, regulated provisions for food and essential health services, and heightened presence of uniformed personnel to enforce isolation procedures.

ADVERTISEMENT

All establishments offering basic necessities will be allowed to operate, Duterte said.

Health officials have so far recorded 142 cases, including 12 fatalities, related to COVID-19, a respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus that first emerged in Wuhan City in China’s Hubei province in late 2019.

The Philippines is currently under a state of public health emergency due to the virus.

The government has upgraded its alert on COVID-19 from Code Red Sublevel 1 to Code Red Sublevel 2, which is hoisted when there is evidence of community transmission and prevalence of cases beyond what the government can address.

Most people who have COVID-19 could recover since the symptoms are mild. like fever and cough. But the illness could be worse or serious for others and possibly lead to pneumonia, especially for older adults and those with existing health problems.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

The World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 a pandemic since it has already infected more than 160,000 people and killed over 6,000 in over 140 countries all over the world.

/atm

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

TAGS: Coronavirus, COVID-19, rebels, Rodrigo Duterte

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.