COVID-19 patient dies in Makati, bringing virus deaths in PH to 12 – DOH
MANILA, Philippines — A 56-year-old Filipino man diagnosed with the coronavirus disease, or COVID-19, died in at Makati Medical Center, bringing the total number of fatalities due to the disease to 12, the Department of Health (DOH) said Sunday.
This came hours after the DOH recorded three new cases of COVID-19 patients who had died.
DOH said the latest coronavirus disease-related fatality is patient number 12, a Manila resident who tested positive for COVID-19 on March 9.
He experienced the onset of symptoms — that is, fever and coughing — on Feb. 29 and was admitted to the Makati Medical Center on March 7.
He died Sunday evening due to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, secondary to coronavirus disease. He was also diagnosed with asthma.
As of this writing, COVID-19 has infected 140 people in the Philippines. The disease is caused by the SARS-CoV-2, which emerged from Wuhan City in China’s Hubei province late last year.
The virus causes mild symptoms for most people, but it can cause serious illness in older adults, especially those with underlying health conditions.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.