Probers secure CCTV footage showing slain BuCor legal chief leaving NBP
MANILA, Philippines – Investigators have secured footage of a closed-circuit television camera (CCTV) showing the suspended chief of the Bureau of Corrections’ (BuCor) legal division leaving the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) compound in Muntinlupa City before he was gunned down.
Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas, director of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), said the CCTV footage showed a motorcycle that overtook the Toyota Hilux pickup of Fredric Anthony Santos after he left the state penitentiary compound to fetch his daughter at the nearby Southernside Montessori School on February 19.
Santos was linked to the irregularities in the Good Conduct Time Allowance credits for convicts during a series of Senate hearings last year.
“We are comparing the CCTV footage and we are coordinating with NBP personnel and investigators to further enhance our investigation,” Sinas said in a press briefing on Friday.
He said the BuCor has also shared to the police the case folders of Santos to possibly give investigators a lead on the motive behind the crime.
The bureau’s top lawyer was just a few meters away from her daughter’s school when he was shot at close range by two gunmen on separate motorcycles along Katihan Road in Barangay Poblacion, one following him and the other coming from the opposite direction, according to police.
All CCTVs in the area where Santos was killed were not functional.
Investigators have also earlier secured the footage of the dashcam camera on Santos’ vehicle, but it was not able to capture the incident since it was placed at the front and the gunmen approached the vehicle at the driver’s side.
A task group was formed by the Muntinlupa City police to conduct an in-depth investigation of the incident.
Edited by MUF
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.