Hong Kong extends school closure till mid-March amid COVID-19 scare
BEIJING — Hong Kong has extended the closure of schools because of a viral outbreak to March 16.
The city’s Education Secretary Kelvin Yeung said the decision to delay the reopening of schools after the Lunar New Year holiday took into account the advice of health experts, the readiness of schools, and the supply of epidemic preventive materials.
Students were supposed to return to classes on February 17 then delayed to March 2.
Yeung said “social distancing and avoiding the mass movement of people” are keys to preventing and controlling the outbreak.
Hong Kong has confirmed 50 cases and one death from COVID-19 or novel coronavirus, which originated in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, China.
COVID-19 has so far infected nearly 60,000 people and killed 1,355 in China alone as of Thursday, February 13.
For more information about the novel coronavirus click here.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.