Mangudadatu asks DoJ to transfer stalled bombing case probe to Manila
MANILA, Philippines—Maguindanao Governor Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu on Wednesday asked the Department of Justice (DoJ) to transfer the preliminary investigation on the suspect in the explosion that struck his convoy in Maguindanao last year causing the death of 2 people.
Arrested suspect Datu Karim Masdal, a resident of Macasampang, Guidolongan, Maguindanao, is facing a complaint for double murder and multiple frustrated murder for bombing the convoy of Mangudadatu on Aug. 15, 2011.
Mangudadatu said the case is now pending after the inhibition of the prosecutor.
“It is taking too long, the case cannot move. The arrested suspect has identified other people involved but no action because the prosecutor inhibited from the case,” Mangudadatu told reporters at the DoJ.
“I am asking Secretary (Leila) De Lima to allow the case to be transferred either here (DoJ main office in Padre Faura) or somewhere in Mindanao, probably Davao,” Mangudadatu said.
Masdal, after he was arrested mentioned that a politician was behind the bombing.
“I do not know the reason why the prosecutor inhibited from the case,” Mangudadatu said but hinted that the prosecutor fear for their safety because some of those involved are also implicated in the Maguindanao massacre.
Killed in the explosion was a bystander, tricycle driver Rocky Pareñas and Maguindanao Board Member Russman Q. Sinsuat Sr.
Mangudadatu’s wife Genalyn and sisters were killed in the Maguindanao massacre on November 23, 2009 where 31 journalists were also killed with one still missing.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.