Aid continues to reach Batanes quake survivors
ITBAYAT, BATANES—Almost six months after a series of earthquakes struck this town, villagers here continue to receive aid from various groups and people.
Volunteers keep coming to this northernmost island town to help the quake victims rebuild their homes.
On Jan. 11, local officials began distributing the P10-million financial aid from the Chinese government to the quake victims, especially those who lost their relatives and houses to the tremors.
The 5.4 and 5.9-magnitude quakes left nine people dead, more than 60 others injured and 260 houses damaged in the town’s five villages on July 27 last year, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
Gov. Marilou Cayco said families of the nine fatalities were given P20,000 each while those who were hurt during the quake received P10,000 each. Families whose houses were destroyed received P45,609 each from China’s donation.
Provincial treasurer, Juanito Abengaña, said the local government received P18.6 million worth of other financial assistance from various donors.
From this aid, families with damaged houses received between P10,000 and P53,000, depending on the extent of the damage. The victims also received 150 units of large pails from the Inquirer Foundation.
According to Nilda Salengua, municipal disaster risk reduction and management officer, the pails were given to households in the outskirts and in the ridge portions of the town where water pressure is weak or where the water system does not reach them.—NATHAN ALCANTARA
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.