‘I will be there’: Duterte tells troops bound for Middle East
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday sent off Philippine Navy troops to Middle East to assist in the evacuation of Filipino workers who may be affected by the tension between the US and Iran.
“There will be imponderables to reckon with. Hindi natin alam. But I hope that this mission will succeed. Do not worry, I will be with you and if need be. Pupunta rin ako doon kung magkahirapan,” Duterte said in his speech.
“I hope, and I said, I pray that you will carry this mission successfully. I wish you luck. I’ll add with my prayers that the winds will sail you to the Middle East safely. I will keep track of every moment of your trip and I will be there in case you need me,” he added.
Two of Philippine Navy’s ships BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PS-16) and BRP Davao del Sur (LD-602) are off to Middle East to help in the evacuation.
The President earlier formed a special committee to draw up an emergency evacuation plan of Filipinos in the Middle East amid the rising conflict between the US and Iran.
He also previously ordered the military to prepare its air and naval assets for the possible repatriation of OFWs.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.