Palace: Work, classes in Batangas still suspended Tuesday
MANILA, Philippines—Government work and classes in all levels in the province of Batangas will remain suspended on Tuesday due to Taal volcano eruption, Malacañang said.
In a statement Monday evening, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said the suspension of classes in all levels and work in government in Batangas would remain in force Tuesday (January 14, 2020) as recommended by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
“This suspension shall not apply to frontline response agencies involved in disaster response, delivery of basic and health service, and/or other vital services,” Medialdea noted.
Meanwhile, work in government in the National Capital Region and Region 3 and the rest of Calabarzon will resume Tuesday.
“Suspension of classes shall be left to the discretion of the local executives who are in the best position to assess the situation in their areas of responsibility,” the Palace official said.
“The private sector is highly encouraged to suspend work for the safety of their employees,” he added.
Thousands have been evacuated after the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) raised an alert level 4 in Taal volcano, meaning an “explosive eruption” could happen in the coming hours or days. Its highest alert level is five, indicating an eruption is taking place.
Taal volcano, which straddles in the province of Batangas, had been restive for months until it suddenly rumbled back to life on Sunday afternoon, spewing a giant ash column into the sky after a phreatic eruption occurred in its main crater.
Phivolcs said Taal, the second-most-active volcano in the Philippines, had a magmatic eruption early Monday morning as it exhibited “weak lava fountaining.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.