Rep. Rida Robes leads awarding of 2019 Outstanding Volunteers
MANILA, Philippines — The House of Representatives — through the Committee on People’s Participation chaired by Rep. Florida “Rida” Robes of San Jose del Monte, Bulacan — honored volunteers at an awarding ceremony on held on Monday, Dec. 16, at the South Wing Lobby of the House of Representatives.
The 10 awardees for Outstanding Volunteers were chosen by the Philippine National Volunteer Service Coordinating Agency (PNVSCA), according to Robes.
“These exemplary volunteers, who come from all over the country, should inspire us all to be more proactive in helping our fellow Filipinos and our communities,” she said. “They emphasize the fact that our bayanihan spirit is the key to national development.”
“This ceremony is our way of celebrating the bravery, dedication, and commitment to service of these volunteers,” Robes added. “May there be more like them. We want to encourage volunteerism in times of disaster and in community building as well. It should be a quality that is innate in every Filipino, to lend a helping hand whenever possible.”
This year’s awardees include individuals, non-profit organizations, and local government units with notable volunteer programs. They are the following:
- Dr. Romulo Davide – Volunteer Lifetime Achievement Awardee
- Aliah Alam – Individual-Youth Category
- Joel Dela Costa – Individual-Adult Category
- Dr. Zsa-Zsa May Meneses – Individual-Adult Category
- Engineer Cristeta Gallano – Individual-Adult Category
- Soroptimist International of Mandaluyong or SIM – Non-Profit Organization Category
- University of La Salette Inc. High School (ULSHS) Community Relations and Outreach Program – Non-Profit Organization Category
- Barangay Poblacion, Burgos, Ilocos Norte – Special Award for LGUs
- Mandaluyong City – Special Award for LGUs
- Municipality of La Trinidad, Benguet – Special Award for LGUs
The speakers at the event were PNVSCA officer-in-charge Corazon Macaraig, Socioeconomic Planning Secretary of Ernesto M. Pernia, and Undersecretary for Regional Development Adoracion Navarro of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA).
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.