Magnitude 6.9 earthquake jolts Davao del Sur
MANILA, Philippines — A powerful 6.9 earthquake rocked Padada, Davao del Sur on Sunday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
The quake struck at 2:11 p.m. with epicenter 6 kilometers northwest of Padada.
Phivolcs said that the tremor was of tectonic origin and had a 30-kilometer depth of focus, sending people out of their houses and buildings in Digos City.
The tremor was also felt in other areas at various intensities:
- Intensity VII – Matanao & Magsaysay, Davao del Sur
- Intensity VI – Kidapawan City; General Santos City; Bansalan, Davao del Sur; Alabel & Malapatan,
Sarangani; Koronadal City
- Intensity V – Tulunan & Matalam, Cotabato; Cotabato City; Davao City; Glan, Sarangani
- Intensity III – Kalilangan, Talakag & Dangcagan, Bukidnon
- Intensity II – Impasugong, Bukidnon; Cagayan de Oro City; Dipolog City
- Intensity I – Zamboanga del Sur
- Intensity VIII – Malungon, Sarangani
- Intensity VI – Alabel, Sarangani; Kidapawan City
- Intensity V – General Santos City; Koronadal City; Tupi, South Cotabato
- Intensity III – Gingoog City
- Intensity II – Zamboanga City; Kiamba, Sarangani
Residents in the area may expect further aftershocks and damage, Phivolcs added.
In October, a string of powerful temblors struck Mindanao, leaving several dead, dozens hurt and houses and buildings destroyed or damaged. With reports from Orlando B. Dinoy, Inquirer Mindanao
Edited by JE
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.