Dog helps family of 5 escape from house fire
A dog kept its five owners safe from a house fire by alerting them to the flames before the situation could take a turn for the worse.
A house in Georgia, USA, caught fire last Friday, Dec. 6, while five family members were asleep. They were able to escape the tragedy after they were awakened by the barking of their dog, named Sammy.
Moments after the house’s back portion started going up in flames, firefighters arrived at the scene, as seen in Savannah Fire Rescue’s post on Facebook on the same day.
Savannah Fire is battling a blaze at 2006 Speir St. City of Savannah Government
After the firefighters successfully extinguished the flames, they recognized Sammy for alerting its owners of the tragedy before the fire worsened. However, Sammy was the only pet that was able to leave the accident unharmed. Fire authorities stated that another dog and two cats did not survive the fire.
Sammy, one of the household pets, alerted the 5 people inside to the fire raging at the rear of the home. They all escaped unharmed. Another dog and two cats did not survive. City of Savannah Government
“While several crews battled the fire, other firefighters located and removed the three pets from the smoke-filled structure,” authorities said in a statement obtained by ABC-affiliate WJCL. “Firefighters tried, but were unable to revive them.”
The house sustained “extensive smoke and fire damage,” leaving its five residents and the heroic dog Sammy displaced.
According to the report, investigators believed the fire was sparked by a deep freezer at the rear of the two-story home. Ryan Arcadio /ra
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.