Duterte gives peace talks with CPP another shot
MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte is giving peace negotiations with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) another shot, months since he officially slammed the door on the possible resumption of peace talks with the communist group.
“I’m sending (Labor) Sec. (Silvestre) Bello…he will go there (and) talk to them,” Duterte said Thursday during a briefing on the effects of Typhoon Tisoy in Legazpi City, Albay.
However, the President said he cannot divulge further details of his recent directive, adding that the public will soon know whether it will prosper or not.
“Basta I’m sending him [Bello] back to (Joma) Sison and talk to him,” he noted.
Duterte earlier this year officially shut down possible resumption of peace talks with the communist rebels, asking them to just “talk to the next President.”
But he explained that his pronouncement cannot be taken with finality because as a leader, he said that he is still “longing for peace.”
“I cannot stop, hindi ko pwedeng sabihing ayaw ko nang makipag-usap [I cannot say that I do not want to talk anymore]. That is not a statement of a leader, of a President,” he said.
“You should understand the quest…longing for peace is always there. Not only for the military but for everybody,” he added.
Duterte further said that he considers this attempt to reach out to the CPP will be his “last card” as his time as President on the country runs out.
Edited by JPV
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.