outbrain
Close  
INCLUDING CAYETANO, P50-M CAULDRON

Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess

/ 11:03 PM November 26, 2019
30th SEA Games cauldron

30th SEA Games cauldron. (Photo from the Bases Conversion and Development Authority)

BUSAN, South Korea — President Rodrigo Duterte wants an investigation of the 2019 Southeast Asian (SEA) Games mess, including the allegations of “incompetence and corruption” thrown at its organizing committee, which is headed by House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano.

“He will order an investigation on allegations of incompetence and corruption,” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo, speaking partly in Filipino, said in an interview in this port city late Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked if the probe would cover Cayetano who chairs the Philippine Southeast Asian Games Organizing Committee (Phisgoc) Foundation Inc., as well as the controversial P50-million stadium cauldron, Panelo, who is also the chief presidential legal counsel, answered in the affirmative.

“Maybe all that will be covered by the probe because when you investigate a particular body that’s included,” he said.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: P50-million giant ‘kaldero’ riles Drilon

His remark on Tuesday was contrary to his pronouncement on Monday that the Palace would not seek accountability for the glitches since Phisgoc had already apologized for the delays in transportation and the accommodation of athletes competing at the regional sports meet.

READ: Not that bad: Palace won’t seek liability over 2019 SEA Games snafus

Panelo also clarified that Duterte was not that angry but was “displeased” over the reported complaints on the handling of the SEA Games.

READ: Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles

“Let’s put it this way, the President is not pleased [with] what he’s been hearing about certain snafus, certain delays, certain allegations of athletes not being fed properly, athletes arriving late or not on time delivered to their places of rest or residence,” Panelo said.

“He’s displeased. He doesn’t want this. There were allegations of fraud coming out in the papers. He doesn’t like that too,” he continued.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said the investigation could happen during the SEA Games, which takes place from Nov. 30 to Dec. 11.

READ: Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles

/atm

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 30th SEA Games, Alan Peter Cayetano, Palace, Probe, Rodrigo Duterte, Salvador Panelo, SEA Games 2019
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.