Close  

Aftershocks keep Bukidnon town on edge after 5.9 quake

/ 10:08 PM November 20, 2019

ILIGAN CITY—The local government of Kadingilan, Bukidnon has suspended classes for the entire week as aftershocks continued to bring anxiety to the people following a 5.9 magnitude quake on Monday, Nov. 18.

Mayor Jerry Canoy said students and teachers were at risk because of the aftershocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

The municipal disaster risk reduction and management office took to social media to spread reports that 50 aftershocks had so far been recorded following the quake.

The aftershocks also sent many families living in damaged homes to camp outside, said Sheen Therese Romo, municipal disaster action officer.

FEATURED STORIES

The campout was encouraged by the municipal engineering office which advised residents to stay outside while the aftershocks continued.

Structural integrity inspections went on on Wednesday, revealing more damaged houses.

Romo said the number of families whose lives were disrupted by the quake had already reached 317, up from more than 100 on Tuesday, Nov. 19.

The municipal disaster council had recommended a declaration of a state of calamity though the council has yet to convene.

Romo added the council could hold a special session for the purpose./Edited by TSB

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: aftershocks, Bukidnon, classes, disaster, Quake
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.