Close  

Robredo wants clear drug war baseline data finished by end of year

02:38 PM November 14, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Leni Robredo has asked agencies under the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs (ICAD) to produce clear baseline data on the campaign against illegal drugs by the end of the year.

Robredo said that this topic was one of the key points of her meeting with ICAD’s law enforcement cluster on Thursday — which includes the Philippine National Police, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) and other agencies.

ADVERTISEMENT

“‘Yong aming target until the end of the year, mayroon nang linaw. I think DILG would need more time to finish the information system, pero ipe-present nila sa amin on Tuesday,” she told reporters in an ambush interview.

(Our target until the end of the year, it has been clear.  I think DILG would need more time to finish the information system, but they would present it to us on Tuesday.)

FEATURED STORIES

The baseline data that Robredo is talking about refers to the numbers in the early stages of the drug war in 2016 — like the number of drug users and drug dependents, the number of surrenderees, number of arrested individuals, the court cases, and the users undergoing rehabilitation.

These data would be compared to the current numbers, in order to gauge the accomplishments — still part of her proposal to refine the metrics used to know what needs to be addressed under the campaign.

“Unang na-highlight is as of now, walang clear baselines, so iyon iyong pinagtatrabahuhan. Mayroon nang efforts to do that,” Robredo relayed.

“So iyon iyong unang agreement: na tapusin na iyong baselines kasi iyon nga, after a while, wala pa rin, hindi pa rin available,” she added.

(What was highlighted is that there are no clear baselines, so that is what we are going to work on.  There are efforts to do that.  That is the first agreement, finish the baselines because, after a while, it is not yet available.)

After Robredo’s first meeting with ICAD last Friday, she said that they are expediting the production of numbers on the drug war so that they can have an idea of what they are up against.  However, she noted that the drug war numbers cannot be relied upon as it was not backed by solid evidence.

There are different versions of the drug user numbers released ever since President Rodrigo Duterte launched his presidential bid in 2016.  In September 2016, the Dangerous Drugs Board said there were at least 1.8 million drug users.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, Duterte had a different number on that same year — he mentioned the existence of 3 to 4 million drug users.

But just this March, during the campaign sorties of the senatorial slate he supports, Duterte said that the number has swelled to around 7 to 8 million — a 5 to 6 million increase despite a bloody anti-drug program.

Malacañang previously said these were national figures, but Robredo said there are questions on the integrity of the numbers.

READ: After first ICAD meet, Robredo finds one thing clear—there’s no clear data on drug use

READ: Never mind Duterte’s 3M figure, PNP to focus on 1.8M drug users

READ: Palace: Duterte’s 7-8 million drug users estimate refers to ‘national figure’

Edited by MUF
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: drug war numbers, ICAD, Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs, Office of the Vice President, Philippine news updates, President Rodrigo Duterte, Vice President Leni Robredo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Marco Gallo not out to become ‘the next James Reid’

December 16, 2019 12:02 AM

lifestyle

French New Wave icon Anna Karina dies at 79

December 15, 2019 10:42 PM

sports

Pogoy plays through pain, helps TNT get crucial win

December 15, 2019 10:06 PM

newsinfo

New Zealand eruption death toll rises to 18

December 15, 2019 09:33 PM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.