outbrain
Close  
NOT HEALTH-RELATED, SAYS PANELO

UPDATE: Duterte to take 3-day break ‘from punishing schedule’ – Palace

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 03:13 PM November 11, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte will take a rest for three days beginning Tuesday, November 12, Malacañang announced Monday.

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte will take a “respite from his punishing schedule.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ang alam ko Tuesday, bukas, ang start ng kanyang pahinga,” Panelo said, citing Duterte’s longtime aide-turned-lawmaker, Sen. Bong Go.

(What I know is Tuesday, tomorrow, will be the start of his rest.)

FEATURED STORIES

The spokesman said the President will stay in his home in Davao City.

In the past, Duterte’s absence has sparked speculations about his health.

But Panelo said Duterte’s rest is not health-related.

He said the President was taking a rest upon the advice of friends and colleagues.

“Well upon the advice of friends, colleagues and the world scene, and most likely upon the advice of doctors also, to take a respite from his punishing schedule,” he said.

The President earlier revealed he had undergone colonoscopy and endoscopy and that he has been undergoing regular blood tests.

The 74-year-old Chief Executive also previously admitted suffering from Buerger’s disease, migraine, and back pains due to smoking during his youth.

ADVERTISEMENT

During the press briefing, Panelo said Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea would serve as caretaker of the government while Duterte is on break. However, after the press briefing, Panelo said there might not be a need for a caretaker even while Duterte takes three days off.

Go, meanwhile, said there would be no need to assign a government caretaker because Duterte will only rest.

Duterte, telecommuting?

In a DZMM radio interview hours after his briefing, Panelo said Duterte won’t take a leave but would just work in his Davao City home.

“Hindi siya magli-leave. Magta-trabaho lang siya sa Davao, sa bahay. Marami s’yang backlog eh, maraming paperwork,” he said,

(He will not take a leave. He will just work in his house in Davao. He has lots of backlog, paperworks).

“Hindi kasi ‘pag sa Malacañang, maraming istorbo sa Malacañang, maraming gustong makipag-usap sa kanya, may private meeting, talagang hindi siya makakapagpahinga. Samantalang sa bahay ‘pag natapos siya ng paperwork, pwede na siyang magpahinga,” he added.

(When he is in Malacañang there are many destructions, many want to talk to him, [and many] private meetings. He really cannot take a rest there. While when he is at home, when he is done with this paperwork, he can rest.)

Panelo also said Duterte would have the same workload while he is at home.

“Ganoon pa rin ang trabaho niya. Kaya lang ‘di ba sa bahay, kasi ‘pag nasa bahay ka pwede kang makapagpahinga ‘pag natapos ka na sa mga trabaho mo,” he said.

(He will have the same workload. But when you are at home you can rest after you have done your work.)

Panelo even said Duterte would still have an event on Tuesday, November 12. /kga

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 3-day break, Duterte health, Local news, Malacañang, Nation, national news, news, Philippine news updates, Philippines, rest, Rodrigo Duterte, Salvador Panelo, three-day break
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.