2 dead as ‘Quiel’ sweeps through Cagayan, bringing massive flooding
TUGUEGARAO CITY–Two towns in Cagayan province were declared as calamity areas amid massive flooding and landslides triggered by relentless rains brought by Tropical Storm “Quiel” on Thursday, Nov. 7.
Cagayan Gov. Manuel Mamba said a state of calamity had been declared in the towns of Claveria and Allacapan, which are now submerged in floodwater.
Quiel-induced rains also flooded low-lying areas of Santa Praxedes, Baggao, Sanchez Mira, Gonzaga and Ballesteros towns, he added.
Classes have been suspended in those areas.
Citing disaster council reports, Mamba said the flooding has submerged homes of up to 6,400 people.
The governor said two persons were dead with one buried in a landslide in Claveria amd the other drowned in Baggao.
In Claveria town alone, the flood displace at least 309 families who are now staying in evacuation centers. Villamor Visaya Jr./TSB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.