Palace media task force vows justice for slain broadcaster in Dumaguete
MANILA, Philippines—The killing of radio broadcaster Dindo Generoso will not go unpunished.
This was the statement of the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS) as it condemned the blatant killing of Generoso on Thursday morning at Brgy. Piapi, Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental.
“This dastardly deed will not go unpunished. Whoever is behind this senseless murder will be brought to justice,” PTFoMS Executive Director Joel Sy Egco said in a statement.
Generoso was killed by riding-in-tandem gunmen while driving his brown Hyundai Elantra on his way to his radio program on Bai Radio around 7:30 a.m.
According to authorities, Generoso, 67, sustained eight gunshot wounds at different parts of his body causing his instantaneous death.
Generoso was a blocktimer and anchor for development programs of the local government, including a controversial reclamation project that was halted by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources last week, Egco noted.
His radio program in Bai Radio is sponsored by the city government of Dumaguete as an extension of its public information office.
Police are now conducting follow-up investigation and hot pursuit operation for the possible identification of the assailants.
The Commission on Human Rights has already condemned the killing and said that the continues attacks against members of the press show the “shrinking democratic space for free speech and expression” in the Philippines.
Meanwhile, the Department of Justice, sitting as chair of the PTFoMS, has ordered the creation of a special investigating team to look into the killing of Generoso.
Based on PTFoMS data, 22 blocktimers have been killed since 2003.
During the May 2016 elections, Generoso ran for the mayoralty position but lost, the task force pointed out.
PTFoMS said it is on top of the situation and is closely coordinating with the Dumaguete City Police Station for follow-up investigation to pinpoint the motives for Generoso’s shooting.
“The Task Force presumes that any form of media violence is work-related, until further investigation proves otherwise,” it said. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.