Close  

188,583 persons affected by quakes in Regions 11, 12

/ 05:26 PM November 05, 2019

Families along the highway in Makilala, Cotabato pitch makeshift tents outside their houses following the October 31 Magnitude 6.5 quake that jolted a large part of Mindanao. BONG SARMIENTO

KORONADAL CITY — At least 37,716 families consisting of 188,583 persons have been affected in Soccsksargen and Davao regions by the series of earthquakes that jolted a large part of Mindanao last month, government data showed Tuesday.

Ricardo Jalad, executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), said there was no significant change in the number of affected families from the previous monitoring Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Monday, NDRRMC reported that 37,706 families or 188,533 persons were affected by the quakes in the two Mindanao regions badly struck by three powerful tremors, the last one being the October 31 Magnitude 6.5 quake.

Jalad earlier claimed there was “no humanitarian crisis” in the quake-affected areas because “markets are open and relief goods continue to flow to quake affected areas.”

FEATURED STORIES

In the latest situation report of the quake issued as of 6 a.m. Tuesday, Jalad said the affected families in Regions 11 and 12 came from 246 villages.

At least 5,614 families consisting of 28,070 persons have sought refuge in 32 evacuation centers, while 1,493 families or 7,465 persons have been served outside the evacuation centers, the report said.

The death toll in the three quakes reached 21 (not 22) while 421 others were injured, according to the report.

At least 21,072 houses were destroyed and 8,345 others were damaged by the quakes, mostly in Regions 11 and 12, the NDRRC data said.

Along the Makilala highway, many families refused to live inside their houses and instead pitched makeshift tents for fear that another powerful quake would knock down their homes.

Some were seen packing their salvaged belongings in vehicles ready to go in case a strong tremor strikes anew.

The recent temblors also destroyed 26 schools and damaged 1,049 others, data showed./lzb

ADVERTISEMENT

Quake victims in Makilala, Cotabato pack their possessions in their vehicles following the destructive October 31 Magnitude 6.5 quake that jolted a large part of Mindanao. BONG S. SARMIENTO


Inquirer calls for support for the victims of earthquakes in Mindanao

Responding to appeals for help, the Inquirer is extending its relief to the families affected by the recent earthquakes in Mindanao.

Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860.

Inquiries may be addressed and emailed to Inquirer’s Corporate Affairs office through [email protected]

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Davao regions, Earthquakes, Local news, Mindanao, mindanao quake 2019, Philippine news updates, Soccsksargen
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.