outbrain
Close  

Davao Sur City gets no breather from quakes, cries for help

/ 08:07 PM October 30, 2019

DIGOS CITY—-The local legislature in this capital of Davao del Sur has declared a state of calamity in the city following massive damage wrought by Tuesday’s 6.6-magnitude quake.

Vice Mayor Johari Bana, who presides over the city council, called for a special session on Wednesday, Oct. 30, to bring to the legislative body the recommendation of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to declare a state of calamity in the city.

ADVERTISEMENT

Prior to Tuesday’s 6.6-magnitude quake, the city was also hit by a 6.3-magnitude tremor on Oct. 16.

Mayor Josef Cagas said the people of Digos needed immediate help after being struck by disaster twice in a row.

FEATURED STORIES

Gil Gubat, city disaster action officer, said initial estimates placed damage to structures at P259 million.

“This is just a portion of the real damage,” he said. He added that city officials were still in the process of evaluating the extent of damage on high rises. Inspection teams could not yet do their work because of the series of aftershocks that continue to rock the city.

Nikkolo Marco Cortes, city information officer, said scores of houses had been destroyed in different villages.

Gubat said structures that suffered damage during the Oct. 16 quake were further damaged by the 6.6 tremor last Tuesday.

Malls and department stores that reopened after repairs following the Oct. 16 quake had been ordered closed again, driving hundreds of workers out of work.

A building of the Cor Jesu College, a school, had been deemed unsafe already and may be demolished.

A building under construction was on the verge of collapsing after its beams and columns gave way during Tuesday’s quake.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Magsaysay, Davao del Sur at least 867 families had been evacuated.

Anthony Allada, Magsaysay information officer, said three persons remained missing and believed buried in a landslide during Tuesday’s quake. Search and rescue operations are ongoing./TSB


Inquirer calls for support for the victims of earthquakes in Mindanao

Responding to appeals for help, the Inquirer is extending its relief to the families affected by the recent earthquakes in Mindanao.

Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860.

Inquiries may be addressed and emailed to Inquirer’s Corporate Affairs office through [email protected]

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: council, damage, disaster, Magnitude, mindanao quake 2019, quakes, State of Calamity
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.