Close  

NBI in Central Visayas probes Misamis Occidental mayor’s slay in Cebu City

/ 05:24 PM October 29, 2019
Duterte now suspecting cops killed Misamis Occ mayor

Mayor David Navarro of Clarin, Misamis Occidental is shot to death along M. Velez Street Cebu City. CDN Digital photo | Alven Marie A. Timtim

CEBU CITY –– The National Bureau of Investigation in Central Visayas (NBI-7) has launched on Tuesday its probe on the killing of Mayor David Navarro of Clarin town, Misamis Occidental, who was attacked by armed men while he was in police custody in this city.

NBI-7 assistant regional director Dominador Cimafranca said they initiated their investigation as they were expecting highly sensational cases to be brought to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

The NBI-7 officials were at the Cebu City Police Office on Tuesday afternoon to secure the pieces of evidence which included video footage of seven security cameras.

Cimafranca said NBI headquarters in Manila would help out in the case. They will also coordinate with the NBI in Mindanao to check the accounts of the Navarro family on the incident.

FEATURED STORIES

“We will coordinate with the family because the family is part of the convoy,” said Cimafranca.

Navarro was gunned down as he was being transported by the police to the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office at past 2 p.m. on October 25.

At least four masked men, carrying high-powered firearms, reportedly dragged Navarro from the police car and fired at him along M. Velez Street in Barangay Guadalupe, Cebu City.

The incident happened a day after the mayor was arrested by the police for allegedly mauling a masseur and requesting a masseuse to massage his private part in a parlor in uptown Cebu City.

Floating the possibility that the police may be involved in the slaying of Navarro, President Duterte on Monday instructed the police to stop their probe and to let the NBI take over.

Police Col. Gemma Vinluan, director of the Cebu City Police Office, said they welcomed the decision of the President to delegate the investigation to the NBI-7.

She said they were relieved that a workload had been taken from them.

ADVERTISEMENT

She said they would cooperate with the NBI. With reports from Nestle Semilla

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu City, Clarin, David Navarro, investigation, Misamis Occidental, National Bureau of Investigation, NBI
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.