Close  

Army claims 22 rebels operating in 3 provinces surrender

/ 07:20 PM October 17, 2019

LUCENA CITY—The military on Thursday, Oct. 17, announced what it said was the surrender of at least 22 New People’s Army (NPA) guerrillas, lured by a Duterte administration program dangling cash, housing and scholarships launched in the wake of the collapse of peace talks between the government and communist rebels.

Capt. Jayrald Ternio, head of the public affairs office of the Army’s 2nd Infantry Division, said the guerrillas had operated in Quezon, Laguna and Rizal provinces under the NPA’s Guerrilla Front Cesar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ternio, in a report, said the 22 guerrillas also turned over 10 firearms, ammunition and materials for making landmines.

The surrender followed negotiations between the rebels and military and police representatives. No details of the negotiations were given but it appeared to be part of the Duterte administration’s tack to initiate localized peace talks in lieu of talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) and key rebel leaders.

FEATURED STORIES

Ternio said the surrendered rebels were being given “custodial debriefing.”

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is determining the rebels’ needs, profiling and counseling them.

Col. Alex Rillera, head of the Army’s 202nd Infantry Brigade, said in the report that rebels were surrendering as a result of the “whole-of-nation” strategy to bring an end to the insurgency which President Rodrigo Duterte wanted done during his term which expires in 2022.

Brig. Gen. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr., head of the 2nd ID, said rebels continue to surrender which would lead to an end to the insurgency in the provinces of Rizal, Quezon, Batangas and Laguna.

The surrender, Burgos said, “signals the eventual and inevitable collapse of insurgency.”

Reports earlier this year cited military and police intelligence reports as declaring the dismantling of the NPA unit operating in Batangas and Cavite provinces.

The military and local officials had also declared the provinces of Cavite, Marinduque, Romblon and Laguna as “insurgency-free.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Lt. Gen. Gilbert Gapay, head of the Armed Forces Southern Luzon Command, called on other rebels to lay down their arms and surrender, too.

Gapay said they stood to enjoy the benefits of the government’s E-Clip program which offers livelihood financing, scholarships, housing and free legal assistance to rebels who would give up the armed struggle to bring genuine land reform and justice to remote areas where government presence is hardly felt.

It wasn’t clear how the military arrived at these figures but Solcom said as of the second quarter of 2019, 385 rebels operated in Southern Tagalog region and 314 in Bicol. Delfin T. Mallari Jr./TSB

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Army, brigade, communists, Military, Negotiations, Peace Talks, rebels
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.