Reds refute AFP’s claim that Laguna is ‘insurgency -free’
LUCENA CITY — A regional spokesperson of the communist rebels strongly refuted the claim of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) that the province of Laguna is now “insurgency-free.”
Patnubay de Guia, spokesperson of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP)-Southern Tagalog, said in a statement Wednesday that the declaration by the military that Laguna has been liberated from the clutches of the communist New People’s Army (NPA), was part of the government lies and propaganda against the revolutionary movement.
De Guia said the government pronouncement was no different from the military’s “fake news” about NPA mass surrenders, localized ceasefires, and announcements that various local governments had declared the Communist Party of the Philippines-NDFP-NPA as “persona non grata” in their respective localities.
Late last month, the Army’s 2nd Infantry Division had declared that Laguna became the second province in the Calabarzon region to be declared as an “area with Stable Internal Peace and Security” (SIPS).
The SIPS status is achieved if the Maoist-inspired rebels were not able to initiate violent attacks for at least one year, according to the military./lzb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.