Close  
AS PROSECUTION ATTEMPTED TO PRESENT WITNESSES NOT IN ORIGINAL LIST

What happened to 36 witnesses vs Trillanes? Ex-senator’s lawyer wonders

/ 06:50 PM October 07, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Since retrial on the rebellion case against former senator Antonio Trillanes IV started early this year, government prosecutors have yet to present a single witness from the list they have submitted before Makati City Regional Trial Court Branch 150.

“Are they dispensing with the presentation of the previous witnesses listed because we don’t understand why they cannot present those witnesses considering that substantial time has elapsed since the case reopened,” Trillanes’ counsel, Atty. Reynaldo Robles, told reporters Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There is no reason for them not to be able to communicate with these individuals,” he added.

He said it isn’t fair for the prosecution to add new witnesses without appropriate notice.

FEATURED STORIES

“It violates the rights of the accused to due process of law,” he pointed out.

The prosecution has so far presented only one witness since, and that was Assistant State Prosecutor Mary Jane Sytat during a hearing in July. She is not included in the list submitted to the Makati court.

Last July 22, the prosecution announced that its next witness will either be Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Danilo Lim or former Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director Nicanor Faeldon.

However, during Monday’s hearing, the prosecution cited communication problems with Faeldon due to conflict in the Senate’s investigation about the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) mess.

Instead, the prosecution has brought in court GMA TV reporter Tina Panganiban-Perez to testify on the video footage of her coverage of the 2007 Manila Peninsula siege.

Robles opposed the presentation of the new witness because Perez and two of her colleagues were not in the original list of witnesses submitted by the prosecution.

The court gave Trillanes through Robles 10 days to submit their comments on the presentation of new witnesses.

ADVERTISEMENT

The next hearing is set on November 18. /kga

RELATED STORIES

Faeldon, Lim to testify vs Trillanes

Makati Court revives Trillanes’ rebellion case

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Antonio Trillanes IV, court, Local news, Makati RTC Branch 150, Manila Peninsula Siege, Nation, national news, news, Philippine news updates, Politics, rebellion
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
sports

Carmelo Anthony takes a new outlook to his new team

November 20, 2019 03:32 PM

technology

Sugar essential to life found in meteorites

November 20, 2019 03:12 PM

newsinfo

TD Ramon maintains strength as it crosses Ifugao

November 20, 2019 03:08 PM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.