Close  

DILG readies dismissal, complaints vs alleged Manila ‘drug queen’

By: - Reporter / @CMarquezINQ
/ 12:48 PM October 03, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said Thursday it is preparing suspension and dismissal papers as well as complaints against former barangay official Guia Gomez Castro, the alleged Manila-based “drug queen.”

According to DILG spokesman and Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya, Castro “technically… is a barangay official” because “she took her oath” even if she did not assume her village chair post after winning the barangay polls last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Since technically she is a barangay official, the DILG is now preparing for her suspension and dismissal kasi she took her oath,” Malaya told reporters in an interview at Sulo Riviera Hotel in Quezon City where a DILG forum on reforms in the 1987 Consitution was held.

Malaya said they will also file administrative complaints, including grave neglect of duty or grave misconduct, against Castro at the Office of the Ombudsman.

FEATURED STORIES

“Either grave neglect of duty or grave misconduct so that can lead to dismissal of service. We can file as many cases against her because she is involved in illegal drugs,” Malaya said in Filipino.

Castro, barangay captain of Barangay 484 Zone 48 in Sampaloc, Manila, left the country for Bangkok, Thailand on September 21 then flew to Taiwan and then to the United States on September 25. The Department of Justice said the US has already canceled Castro’s visa.

READ: ‘Drug Queen’s’ US visa has been canceled–DOJ

Citing records from DILG Field Office in Manila City and DILG’s Barangay National Operations Office, Malaya said Castro’s name was placed in their master list as an active barangay captain.

Malaya noted that they discovered in government records that Castro is still a public official but is under absent without official leave (AWOL) status.

“She is still a public official but she is absent without leave, therefore, she is under the authority of the DILG,” Malaya said.

Castro filed a leave of absence from April 25 to June 25 this year during then Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada’s term, Malaya said.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: BREAKING: MPD chief names Manila ‘drug queen’ 

/kga

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: barangay Captain, Department of the Interior and Local Government, Guia Gomez Castro, Illegal drugs, Jonathan Malaya, Local news, Metro, metro news, news, Philippine news updates
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
sports

Far from done

November 18, 2019 05:00 AM

newsinfo

Traffic mess breeds ‘habal-habal’ rides

November 18, 2019 04:52 AM

newsinfo

Pagcor resumes medical aid to poor families

November 18, 2019 04:50 AM

sports

Just getting there

November 18, 2019 04:50 AM

newsinfo

Duterte urged to control use of vaping

November 18, 2019 04:48 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.