No ceasefire on 2020 budget? Sotto says Senate would prefer it | Inquirer News
Close  

No ceasefire on 2020 budget? Sotto says Senate would prefer it

By: - Reporter / @MAgerINQ
/ 04:35 PM September 30, 2019

MANILA, Philippines— If the House of Representatives does not want to end the word war, then so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT

In fact, Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III said the Senate wants that the people know all the issues surrounding the national budget.

“Alam mo, mas gusto ng mga kababayan natin na walang ceasefire para lumabas ang mga katotohanan at lumitaw ang lahat. Mas gusto namin ‘yun, ” Sotto said in an interview at the Senate.

FEATURED STORIES

(You know, our countrymen would prefer that there is no ceasefire so the truth will come out. We’d prefer that.)

“Ano ba pinag-uusapan namin? Ano bang pinag-aawayan nila? Ako nama’y hindi nakikipag-away pero ano ba pinag-aawayan nila? Pera ng taumbayan. Kaya mabuti na siguro wala ng ceasefire para lumitaw lahat,” he pointed out.

(What are we talking about? What are they fighting over? I’m not trying to fight anybody but what are they fighting about? The people’s tax money. So maybe it’s good that there’s ceasefire so everything will come to light.)

Sotto made the remark when sought for comment on House Deputy Speaker Luis Raymond Villafuerte Jr.’s claim there was no ceasefire between the House of Representatives and the Senate.

READ: Villafuerte says no ‘ceasefire’ between House, Senate on 2020 budget

The word war erupted between some congressmen and Senator Panfilo Lacson after the latter disclosed the alleged aborted plan to give all 22 deputy speakers P1.5 billion each and P700 million in the 2020 national budget.

Several House leaders quickly denied the allegation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked about the possible delay of the approval of the budget like what happened in the 2019 budget, Sotto said, “Well, your guess is as good as mine. Let’s see once we receive the budget.”

The House of Representatives has already approved the 2020 budget bill but they have yet to transmit it to the Senate.

READ: House swiftly OKs P4.1-T nat’l budget for 2020 after only a month of debates

The passage of the 2019 had been derailed also due to alleged “pork” insertions of congressmen. /je

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: budget, Conflicts, House, Philippines, prok, Senate, Vicente “Tito” Sotto III
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.