Cops probe ‘food poisoning’ of 39 Chinese POGO workers
SAN PEDRO CITY –– Thirty-nine employees of a Philippine offshore gaming operator (POGO) in Kawit town in Cavite province were taken to hospitals after showing signs of food poisoning.
Major Richard Corpuz, Kawit police chief, on Friday, said 19 of them, who were brought to the San Juan de Dios hospital in Pasay City on Thursday, had already been discharged. Twenty others, who were brought to the Binakayan Medical Center in Kawit, remained in the hospital.
They were employees of the First Orient International Ventures Corp., the operator of the POGO hub located in the 20-hectare former Island Cove resort in Kawit town.
In a phone interview, Corpuz said 19 Chinese nationals were first to complain of stomach ache after being served food at the hub’s canteen.
Shortly after, another 20 employees also began to suffer from the same condition.
Corpuz said doctors’ initial findings showed possible food poisoning, although they were still investigating where the food came from.
“There were a thousand (other employees) who ate in the canteen (around that time) but how come only them (39 were affected)?” he asked.
He said the employees also ordered food from stores outside and had them delivered into the hub.
Corpuz said the Chinese nationals have arrived recently in the Philippines and are housed in the POGO’s staff dormitory, as employees of the online gaming hub./lzb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.