QC seeks help of private sector to impose ban on illegal parking
MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City government on Saturday sought the help of private business establishments to continue implement the ban for illegal parking and road obstructions as the 60-day deadline to clear public roads and sidewalks nears end.
Quezon City Task Force for Transport and Traffic Management (QCTF-TTM) head and QC anti-traffic czar, Atty. Ariel Inton said that some business establishments and companies in their city “remain stubborn” despite reminders regarding the ban.
But Inton said most businesses have already complied.
“Our unified drive in conducting series of clearing operations will be more effective and successful if private business establishments in our Mabuhay Lanes will join our efforts and will be the ones to initiate in telling their customers to observe City Ordinances concerning proper parking rules and regulations,” said Inton.
Further, Inton said that business establishments can remind their security guards regarding designated parking spaces as apprehended car owners had previously put blame on security guards who supposedly allowed parking in prohibited areas.
“While we believe that the customer is always right, but he should also park right,” Inton said.
Despite this, Inton echoed Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte’s earlier pronouncement that 90% of the city’s major rods, Mabuhay Lanes and vital secondary roads have already been cleared.
The move was in line with President Rodrigo Duterte’s order and the Memorandum Circular No. 2019-121 released by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) for local governments to clear public roads and sidewalks.
The 60-day deadline is set to end on September 29. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.