UPDATE: Aftershock shakes Quezon, several areas of Metro Manila
MANILA, Philippines–An earthquake that shook a large swath of Quezon province and Metro Manila has produced aftershocks that jolted the Luzon areas anew.
About an hour after the 5.3 magnitude earthquake struck off Polillo Island in Quezon, a 4.7 magnitude quake hit 34 kilometers northeast of Burdeos, said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology. Three smaller aftershocks also occurred.
Earlier, Phivolcs recorded a 5.1 magnitude quake but it was downgraded to 4.7.
There were no immediate reports of damage or injury from the latest quake that struck at a shallow depth of 11 km.
The 5:18 p.m. tremor was felt in the following areas:
- Intensity V – Polillo, Quezon
- Intensity IV – Quezon City
- Intensity II – Guinayangan, Quezon
- Intensity IV – Polilio, Quezon
- Intensity III – Jose Panganiban, Camarines Norte; Quezon City; Marikina City;
- Intensity II – Alabat, Guinayangan and Mauban, Quezon; Las Pinas City; Malolos City; San
- Ildefonso, Bulacan; Pasig City
- Intensity I – Bacoor City; Baler, Aurora; San Juan City; Guagua, Pampanga
At 5:02 p.m., an aftershock measuring 2.4 magnitude was recorded 34 km northeast of Burdeos.
At 5:35 p.m., a 2.9 magnitude aftershock stuck 41 km northeast of the Quezon province.
The Philippines sits on the Pacific “Ring of Fire” where continental plates collide causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.