Guanzon says Duterte won’t believe Cardema
Election Commissioner Rowena Guanzon on Friday expressed confidence that President Duterte would not believe the claims made by former youth chair Ronald Cardema that she sought favors from him as well as P2 million in exchange for her vote to accredit the Duterte Youth party list group.
Guanzon said the fact that Malacañang had already distanced itself from Cardema was a telltale sign that the President is not on his side in his attempt to become a youth representative by accusing her of extortion.
“It’s obvious even to Malacañang that this guy is just attracting attention because he’s already bankrupt,” Guanzon said in a TV interview.
She added that Mr. Duterte knew her back when both of them were still mayors—she of Cadiz City in Negros Occidental and he of Davao City.
“We first met in the League of Cities [of the Philippines],” Guanzon said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.