Close  

Kapa members behind Cotabato radio broadcaster’s slay – task force exec 

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 05:45 PM August 22, 2019

MANILA, Philippines  — Members of the religious group Kapa Community Ministry International Inc., were behind the killing of Eduardo Dizon, manager of Brigada News FM-Kidapawan.

Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS) Executive Director Joel Egco identified the four suspects as Dante Tabosares alias “Bong Encarnacion” as the mastermind; Jun Jacolbe as right-hand man; Junell Gerozaga as gunman; and Helario Lapi Jr. as lookout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Egco said the first batch of cases were filed on July 22.

“[A]ctually we filed the first case during the Sona of the President, as early as July 22,” he said in a press briefing in Malacañang.

FEATURED STORIES

Since Lapi was the least guilty, Egco said he qualified as state witness under the witness protection program of the government.

“Since siya naman iyong least ‘no masasabi natin, so far ‘no siya iyong least guilty or whatever, siya iyong nag-qualify for state witness tapos kinuwento na niya lahat,” he said.

Egco said Tabosaresa was a media officer of Kapa in Kidapawan. The three other suspects were also Kapa members.

Kapa Community Ministry International Inc., was earlier ordered closed by President Rodrigo Duterte for supposedly operating an investment scam.

Lapi and another witness, Renato Sardoncillo, were presented to the media in Malacañang on Thursday.

Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said “the suspects, based on our witnesses’ affidavits are Kapa members who are also media people themselves.”

“The reason why they are here is to assure them of government protection as they are being subjected to intimidation or other forms of threat by the suspects who, based on our information, are influential people in their province,” Andanar said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Egco considered the case “cleared” though the suspects are not yet in prison. He earlier  declared “case closed” but later used the term cleared.

“In so far as the investigation is concerned, so umakyat na ‘to sa fiscal, from the PNP na-solve na nila, so it’s now in the hands of the fiscal and we’re hoping na mai-file ito anytime soon,” he said. 

“Well closed in the sense na hindi na ‘to misteryoso and we are very confident na – well, iyon naman trabaho natin – siguraduhin na maparusahan sila,” he added.

Egco said that as “far as the investigation by the police is concerned, “officially it’s called cleared.  If I am not mistaken, it’s cleared officially.”

Madonna Dizon, wife of the slain broadcaster and who was also present during the briefing, agreed with  Egco that the case was closed.

“[S]ince iyong level naman po ng investigation ay ito na po, mayroon na po tayong tumitindig na tutulong sa atin para makamit po natin ang hustisya ay sumasang-ayon po ako sa kanya na case closed,” he said. /kga

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Joel Egco, KaPa, Local news, Martin Andanar, Media, Murder, Nation, national news, news, Philippine news updates, task force
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.