Influx of Chinese workers ‘not yet’ a threat – Del Rosario
MANILA, Philippines — The influx of Chinese workers in the country is “not yet” a threat to national security, former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario said Wednesday night at a fellowship meeting of the Philippine Bar Association in Makati.
This is contrary to a remark that National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. made earlier in the day that the continued influx of Chinese workers in the Philippines could be a “security threat” given that many of them were undocumented.
Asked if he agreed with Esperon, Del Rosario gave a short response: “Not yet.”
“It should be looked into to see what the legal aspects [are] — whether they are entitled to stay here, whether they are entitled to work here,” Del Rosario said. “I think they should also look at the economics: Are they taking away jobs away from our people? These are questions that need to be asked.”
In recent months, there has been an influx of Chinese workers, most of them working for the Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogo).
“You would also start getting worried when a whole building, a condominium tower is occupied by only one nationality where you might not be able to guard their activities,” Esperon said.
The issue has sparked debate among lawmakers.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.